Monday, January 18, 2010
Ham and Cheese Spirals
Here is an interesting finger food dish when organizing large parties. As most finger foods, it usually requires a few ingredients to make it. It has been a while I haven't use puff pastry as it is an easy ingredient to use especially for appetizers. With puff pastry, I made Crispy Mozzarella Sticks and Cheese Twists in May 2009. Last week, I made a simple cheese and ham combination rolled in puff pastry adapted from Kraft's website.
Makes about 24
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Baking Time : 12-14 mins
1 tbsp water
1 Puff Pastry sheet
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp cayenne pepper
170g smoked ham
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Make egg wash by beating egg and water.
3. Roll puff pastry into 14x10 inch on a lightly floured surface, cut half lengthwise. Brush both pastry halves with egg wash.
4. In a small bowl, combine parmesan and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle 3 tbsp of the cheese mix evenly over one pastry piece. Cover with ham slices.
5. Place the remaining pastry sheet over ham, egg-side down. Roll gently with a rolling pin to seal. Brush again with egg wash.
6. Roll up tightly, starting with the long side. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices.
7. Place on parchment paper. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 12-14 mins or until golden brown. Serve.