Does it occur to you that you have a surplus of egg whites (or egg yolks) and you have no idea what to do with it? Over a year ago, I tried to make a lemon custard which required a fair amount of egg yolks. I disastrously overcooked the egg yolks and end up with a curdled mess. I felt so bad of wasting them that I gave up making custard desserts, fearing that I will mess up again. I also didn't want to end up with a big batch of egg whites lying around my fridge.
Cooking Time: 40 mins
1 pie dough
Vanilla Pastry Cream
2 cups whole milk
6 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup white sugar
4 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
Caramelized Apple Topping
1 tbsp butter
5-6 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and diced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1. In a saucepan, place milk, half of the sugar and vanilla extract over medium heat.
2. In a bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar, whisk until pale and thick. Mix in flour and salt.
3. When milk starts to boil, remove from heat. Slowly pour half of the hot milk into the yolk mix, stirring constantly.
4. Place all the yolk mixture into saucepan over medium heat.
5. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Strain for a smoother texture. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap directly on the cream to prevent skin formation.
6. Preheat oven to 350F.
8. Bake for 15 mins until golden brown.
9. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add apples and cook in lemon juice and 1/3 cup brown sugar
10. Remove baked pie dough from the oven. Spread with pastry cream and topped with cooked apples.
11. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar under a broiler until sugar caramelizes. Serve hot.