Being part of a foodie community helps me learn a lot on how to improve specific elements on my blog. Since the launch of this blog, I have been trying to improve my skills in taking decent quality pictures. Food photography is not obvious, and this is one element that most foodies struggle with. Most of my cooking sessions occur at night, and it is kind hard of extracting as much of the natural light, so some of the pictures tend to be dark in the background. The past few months, I have been manually configuring my camera settings such as the white balance, exposure compensation and sensitivity depending on the environment. I still need a bit more practice...
Here I present the second seafood dish made by my friend from l'Ile de la Réunion. It is a shrimp casserole topped with bread crumbs and grated cheese, baked until it reaches a gratin, a great comfort food. The ingredients were done by eye, so the quantity are guestimated.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Baking Time: 10-15 mins
300g shrimp, deveined
2-3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 egg yolks
1/4-1/2 cup warm milk
Slices of bread, cubed
Grated cheese such as mozzarella, gruyère
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. In a large skillet, cook shrimp with a bit of butter over medium heat.
3. Turn to low heat, gradually mix in the flour, stirring constantly.
5. Turn off heat. Stir in egg yolks and 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
6. Transfer mixture to a baking pan. Top with bread cubes, cheese and bread crumbs. For taste, add 2-3 tbsp of butter over the cheese.
7. Bake for 10-15 mins until it reaches a gratin.