IMPORTANT: Almost every part of the lobster are edible, except for the head sack behind the lobster eyes. Remove the black veins found at the bottom of the tail. I think that is about it. Let me know if I missed anything.
Here is a crush course on how to prepare lobster, the Chinese way. If needed, click here for the anatomy of the lobster. Be aware, this is one of the messiest preparation, better do it outside. Check out the step-by-step pictures for guidance.
For 2 lobsters
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
pinches of corn starch
3 tbsp ginger, cut into sticks
4-5 scallions, green parts only, cut into thirds
2-3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp rice cooking wine
1. Make sure that the lobster is fully clean before cutting.
2. Using a butcher knife or sharp chef's knife, cut lobster in half at the abdomen.
3. With the abdomen/tail, discard black veins, reserve the roe and chop into 4-6 pieces.
4. With the top part, chop arms and claws.
5. Using both hands, separate legs from its top shell.
6. With the legs, reserve the tomalley (green substance) and cut the ends of each leg.
1. Place 2-3 scallions, ginger and a pinch of cornstarch over each tomalley-roe.
2. Steam for 5-10 mins until roe is fully cooked. Set aside.
4. Add in tomalley-roe and scallions. Stir fry for 1-2 mins.
5. Add soy sauce, rice cooking wine, and about 1/4 cup water to prevent from drying. Cover for 2-3 mins. Serve.