I have never tried puff pastry before. Puff pastry (pâte feuilletée) is a dough that once baked, it becomes light and flake. Croissant is actually made out of this dough. These can be homemade or bought in any supermarket in the frozen pastry section. Here is a great appetizer to serve for your guests. This recipe comes from Pepperidge Farm website.
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Baking Time : 17 mins
1 Puff Pastry sheet
1 tbsp water
1/4 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese or Parmesan
6 slices of mozzarella (cut into 3'' x 1.5'' each)
1/2 cup of your favorite pasta sauce
1. Thaw pastry sheets according to package instructions.
2. Preheat oven to 400F.
3. In a small bowl, beat egg and water with a fork.
4. Roll out the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface into 15'' x 8'' rectangle.
5. Cut pastry into 5'' x 4'' rectangles.
6. For each mozzarella sticks, put it along the long edge of the pastry rectangle and roll up in the pastry. Gently press the pastry along the long edge and pinch the edges to seal. Place the pastry rolls seam-side down on work surface.
7. Brush the tops of each roll with egg mixture. Top it with grated cheese. Transfer it to an ungreased baking sheet. With a fork, prick the tops of the pastry 6 times for each roll.
8. Bake for 17 minutes or until golden brown. It might happen that the cheese might come out during baking.
9. Meanwhile, heat your favorite pasta sauce in a small saucepan.
10. Put the baked rolls on a serving platter. Serve warm with pasta sauce for dipping.